Entry Deadline: 8/17/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
ARTWORK SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Quality: The consideration of highest priority is the inherent artistic excellence of the art. All art must be an original creation by the artist.
- Timelessness: Each and every sculpture accepted into the Art on the Corner temporary exhibit shall be viewed as a possible long term acquisition and as such it should have relevance aesthetically to the community in future years and reflect enduring artistic quality.
- Permanence: Sculpture shall have structural and surface soundness, be resistant to theft, vandalism, and weathering, and require minimal maintenance.
- Compatibility: Works of art should be compatible in style, scale, material, form, and content with their surroundings, the downtown area, and Grand Junction, and have a broad range of appeal to the general public.
- Public Safety: Works of art shall not create inordinate safety problems or liability problems for the general public, the Downtown Development Authority, or the City of Grand Junction.
All artists who are accepted will receive a $1,000 honorarium. Downtown lodging accommodations will be provided to accepted artists for two nights- Friday, October 5th and Saturday October 6th, 2018. An Artist's Welcome Reception will be held the evening of Friday, October 5th, 2018.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCULPTURE MOUNTED/WELDED TO PEDESTALS
(Steel pedestal to be provided by AOTC)
(The Artist-not AOTC-is solely responsible for secure attachment of sculpture to base plate througout the exhibit)
- For sculptures less than six feet tall they must have a steel base plate attached with 1/4" steel pins or counter sunk machine screws. Minimum of (3) three per sculpture. Pins must be secured to sculpture with epoxy or automotove body filler
- 1/4" mild steel base at least 1/2" larger than the base of the sculpture for welding. Bottom of base plate must be flush to allow the base plate to be tack welded to the pedestal.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FREE STANDING SCULPTURE BOLTED TO SIDEWALK
For more specific information on sculpture installation, please contact Tina at email@example.com.
- Free standing sculpture (six feet or taller) mounted to either a pedestal or steel plate, which is provided by the Artist, will be bolted to sidewalk with 1/2" bolts
- Center of 5/8" hole must be a minimum of 1-1/2" from edge of pedestal or base plate to allow for access space
- Base of sculpture shall have a minimum (3) three 5/8" mounting holes evenly spaced for leveling and mounting to concrete
The 2018 AOTC Exhibit will be curated by Araan Schmidt. Araan attended Kansas City Art Institute in Kansas City, Missouri, where he received his B.F.A. in Sculpture in 2004. In 2005 Araan was awarded a Graduate School Fellowship at the University of Minnesota where he later received his M.F.A. (Sculpture) in 2008. Araan has taught sculpture at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, Alfred University, in New York, Binghamton University in New York and is currently an Assistant Professor of Sculpture at Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, Colorado. Araan has received the Open Studio Artist Fellowship at Franconia Sculpture Park in Franconia, Minnoseta. Araan exhibits nationally and internationally from Burchfield-Penney Art Center in Buffalo, NY to Pedvale Open-Air Museum in Sabile, Latvia. Araan is also an active participant in national and international conferences on cast iron art from Sloss National Historic Landmark Furnaces in Birmingham, Alabama to the International Conference on Cast Iron Art in Kidewelly, Wales.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND MATERIALS:
The Downtown Grand Junction Art on the Corner is using the online CaFE application and selection process. Each application must be submitted via the CaFE website at www.callforentry.org and must include:
Please Note: Artists are required to deliver their artwork on the day of installation. All costs associated with submission of a proposal shall be the responsibility of the artist. All sculptures must be mounted and ready for display as specified by Art on the Corner. The artist is responsible for all expenses associated with design, labor, materials, or contracted services required to complete the work, as well as transportation of the piece to the installation site and removal of the sculpture from the Art on the Corner exhibit at the end of the temporary exhibit period.
- Sculpture information which includes: sculpture title, material, size, (height, width, depth), weight, special installation requirements, value of sculpture, selling price, and an artist's statement about the piece
- At least three images per piece taken from different angles
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING WITH MULTIPLE SCULPTURES:
IMPORTANT - This application represents ONE artwork, with 3 to 6 images of the work. If you wish to enter additional artworks, checkout and submit the first application, then return to "Apply to Calls" and choose APPLY AGAIN TO THIS CALL. Repeat the process for up to three applications.
DEADLINE: The application, images and other required materials must be submitted electronically by midnight (MST), Friday, August 17, 2018 to https://www.callforentry.org